This time of year is tough. Family, food, shopping, food, the weather changes, food, your pants are shrinking…sometimes it feels like it would be easier to throw in the towel–or eat the towel–than to fight yourself and the scale.
But never fear! I know exactly where you are. A year ago, I made the decision to put myself first and give myself a healthier body.
I knew it wouldn’t be an overnight process, I didn’t swell to this size in a few weeks so I certainly wasn’t going to lose it in a month, but the process was frustrating and I did have setbacks.
In the past year, I’ve shed 40 pounds and kept it off by simply moving more, eating less. I still eat my favorite things, I just don’t eat them everyday. In fact, I enjoy them more because I have them less. Now, I’m starting the second phase of my weight loss, another 40 pounds by June 1, 2013 (provided we all live past December 21st) and I want you to join me in this journey. It’s far easier to tackle a big change like this with allies than alone. Just ask my heroine, Megan, from Weighting for Mr. Right.
Believe me, the holidays are a more than challenging time to begin a healthier lifestyle, but consider it a gift to yourself. Yes, it sounds very sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns, but there is no perfect time to begin. There’s always going to be a reason not to–holidays, summertime, too stressed out at work, it’s Tuesday, the sun is out, you breathe out carbon dioxide, John Stamos hasn’t returned any of your calls, whatever your excuse throw them out the window and say to yourself “Dammit! I’m worth it!”
To get all of you motivated and feeling good, I’m giving away a prize a week to help you get motivated with simply get going.Starting Saturday, December 1st-December 29th, you can throw your name in the hat for weekly prizes to help you start a healthier you.
All you have is answer a question each week in the comments section and I’ll have my lovely assistants (children) draw a name from the hat.
I’ll run the contest from Saturday to Friday, draw a winner, then a new prize on Saturday.
On January 2nd, I’ll have a special event for all of you to help you reach your goals for the coming year.
I want you all to understand, I don’t expect all of you to “slim up” and get skinny. This isn’t an anti-fat crusade, it’s a pro-health movement. I want you to simply get healthier.
To give yourself some tools, start with these five things:
(1) Make the decision to improve your health by increasing daily exercise and decreasing calories and stay off the scale! Nothing kills momentum like a wrong (in your opinion) number.
(2) Be mindful of what you’re eating–whether that’s through journalling what you’re eating, taking a picture of it, or checking it with your health buddy. Don’t mindlessly shovel food into your mouth. Enjoy each bite, take it slow.
(3) Keep checking back, posting how you’re doing, what your daily obstacles are, and how you worked through them or if you did.
(4) Be accountable. There are going to be setbacks, but don’t throw in the towel two seconds after arriving at a party with chocolate covered everything.
(5) Of course, buy Weighting for Mr. Right and learn about my heroine, Megan’s, journey to discover how incredible she is. Hopefully, it’ll encourage you to do the same.
Come back on Saturday to find out the prize, answer the question, and enter to win!